Friday, June 29, 2012

Board number 1 July


OK this is board number one of the experiment. 6'0 x 19 3/8 x 2.5. Me..6'0 190lbs 34 years old surfing 19 years. I mostly like surfing beachbreak because I can catch a lot of waves in a short period of time. There are a few reefs I surf, but I'll only put up with the crowd and tight pack of a reef if its a left. Yes I'm goofy.

I've decided to go with the future wct Fin because It suits more of the type of waves I surf on a regular basis. I will only ride each board with those fins to eliminate varibles. This board has a wider over all template. I'm starting with Stretchs Skate model. Its a super low entry like all his boards with and extreme bend from the middle of the board out through the tail. He calls this s1b rocker. with the skate model though you order it 1/4" thicker than you want because he digs out the deep single concave and it gives him more room to work with the over all foil of the board.The single there by lowers the stringer line rocker substantially, but leaves the extreme tail bend out on the rail. Stretches templates and rockers are what draws me back to his boards time and time again. I skated before I surfed so I have a lot of front foot going on and these wide point dead center and extreme tail rockers fit the skateboard feel very well. This one has a modified pulled in tail template from his s2 model ending in a round pin, which has been my favorite tail over the years.

My goal for this board that I'm developing over the next year is a perfect daily driver. A board that will handle almost any condition california can throw at me on a day to day basis. My direction is to go with a board that is my height going off of kellys words..."No one should be riding a board longer than they are tall". But at the same time keeping enough characteristics of a High performance shortboard to be able to push it in the best quality waves I can get in Santa Cruz and all over california really. I decided to go with 19 3/8 bcause that width has been crucial for me when the waves loose some steam from time to time. I'm discovering that width is our friend and when it's put in the right places it can only help you. 2.5 has been my standard thickness since I can remember so stuck with that. However stretch left this one pretty full up front. Just looking at it I'm thinking that will probably be the first tweak but I have to keep an open mind.

My standard shortboard dims before the shorter wider kelly/dane revolution were 6'3 x 18 3/4' x 2.5. So going off of that you can see where I'm trying to go. Havent ridden her yet but shes getting sanded monday, and we have a south coming next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment